February 12, 2016

Plein Air Painting and John Muir...

I'm so inspired by our beautiful country.  Landscapes are definitely my favorite thing to draw and paint, whether it be from a photograph, a vintage postcard, a book...but especially right from nature itself.  Today I have a mixed media spread from a small artist journal, featuring a landscape inspired by this postcard below. 
 This was my set up of supplies.  I'm painting inside because it's still fairly cold for outdoor painting for me.
 Some of my colors inspired by a small travel palette from Green Earth and Blue Berry.
 My finished painting.
 I found this wonderful quote from John Muir to add at the end.
 Although this painting was done outside, I went out later and did a watercolor sketch from my vehicle.  Sketching outside just brings all the senses alive.  It's really the best way to capture the true essence of a landscape.
 That brings me to Plein Air painting.  It means paint outside, simply.  And John Muir?  You've probably read a lot of his nature inspired quotes.  He was a conservationist and a leading role in why we get to visit beautiful places that we call call National Parks.
I'd love for you to watch this video about John Muir's role in the history plein air painting.  It's fascinating to me and I've watched it several times.  If you have an interest to paint landscapes, especially from the great outdoors, this is a must see short documentary.  It's from the great people of Plein Air Magazine and the Paint Outside website.  It's called Outside The Lines and direct link is HERE. I hope you enjoy.....and let me know what you think.

8 comments:

Deb said...

I'll bet you would enjoy the documentary "Mile, Mile and a Half." It's about the John Muir trail done by a group of artists. Loved it!

Suzanne Russell said...

Thanks so much for the link. I enjoyed watching the film very much. I am also enjoying your new emphasis. I've been a Mish fan for several years now and see parallels in our journeys. Best wishes to you!

Unknown said...

Hello Michell love your landscapes and info Am also starting a WC journaling quest and was wondering if you have anything on watercolor brush foliage having trouble with tree foliage and need advise.How are the kids doing hope all is well love your new watercolor adventure looking foreword on more on this.
Thank you have a great day,
Linda

Unknown said...

Thank you for the video information it was wonderful really I joyed it and the web sight.
So much to learn:)

Maureen said...

Mish! This is just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your great talent and inspiration :)

- said...

I love this video! thank you so much for sharing it :-)
Victoria

Humble Bee said...

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this with us! ~ Becki

Deb Walker Deb Stamps Life, LLC said...

An inspiring post--thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails