June 9, 2013

Floral cards using Hero Arts Daubers...

Today I'm sharing some floral cards I made using some new Hero Arts products.  I experimented with a few different techniques using the new Daubers and stamps from the Stamp your Story lines.  

Here's the lineup of products I used from Hero Arts today:

Here's the trio of cards that I created. I used basically the same products on each card but each one turned out with totally different looks.
Let's take a look at the different techniques I used. On this first card I created a background on the base card using the floral stencil and a very dry paint brush.  I dabbed the Dauber colors onto my paint try and just painted over the stencil.  For the main floral image I applied the Dauber colors directly to the stamps.  You can see below that the Dauber colors are deeply saturated with color and are very vibrant.  I splattered some of the Dauber colors on with my paint brush along with some white spray ink.  I finished off the card with a stamped sentiment + some typewriter words.  Enamel dots and a few sequins from my Neutral Sequin Collection are the finishing touches. 
 I really loved using the notebook paper stamp along with the florals from the Remember Cling Stamp set.  Some machine stitching with the strings left long add a homespun feel to the card.
 Next up I created another stencil background but this time I loaded my paint brush with more of the Dauber inks.  The result was that the ink soaked under the stencil and gave more of a muted floral look.  Much more abstract and subtle.
Here's the paint palette I created using an enamel tray and the Daubers.  You can in the bottom corners how the Daubers go onto the tray (the small saturated circles of color).  By using my paint brush and clean water I was able to lighten the colors up thus giving me a more muted color palette to work with. 
Here's what my floral image looked like when first stamped.  I applied the Dauber ink to my stamp using my paint brush and watered down inks from my palette.  You'll notice that pooling of color sometimes happens.  You can leave this to try if you want that dark color.  I usually let it set for a bit then use a paper towel to soak up the color.  
Here's the finished look when all the ink is dry.  I added more splatters of the Daubers by using my paint brush and a flick of the wrist.  The white splatters are from a spray mist.  
This technique lends itself to a more abstract look but you still get the impression of florals because of the stems.  I used a water based olive marker (from Stampin' Up!) to color in all the stamps before stampings.
 I finished off the card with washi tape, stitching, enamel dots and more sequins from my shop.
 For my final card I used the ink pads with the stamps then added some more splatters of ink using my paint brush.  I colored in olive dots on the small flowers using that same marker I used for the floral stems.
 Washi tape, enamel dots, sentiment stamps and sequins finish off the card.
A very fun day of experimenting to just see what happens.  I give the new Hero Arts products a two thumbs up rating.  :)  Thank you for stopping by today. 

This Summer is keeping us hopping with sporting events and things we want to check off of our Summer Bucket List.  So don't worry if you see some time in between posts. I'm just busy livin' life.  

7 comments:

pinkladynz said...

Love your playing around!

Laura said...

Love the wonderful "watercolor effect" you have created in these cards! The colors you have chosen are beautiful together. Love the way you layered the cards as well! These are all beauties!
hugs, Laura

Mary Ann said...

Great water coloring!Love your cards,Very Pretty,Thank you for the tutorial...

~ Jo ~ said...

Love all the techniques you tried out with the products. Love your cards, they all turned out great! I love the different looks of each one. Would love for you to stop by my blog and play along this week in our photo inspiration challenge. Would love to see what you come up with.

Hugs,
Jo
Jo's Scrap Shack

Jacqueline said...

Beautiful cards and especially love the watercolor and the blended pastel color!

Jill Norwood said...

Beautiful! Thanks for showing how you did it! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful cards. I love the soft colors!

Related Posts with Thumbnails